Last autumn, we had an open call and the response was amazing. Here is the cover to the first novel that will be released: TAMER ANIMALS by Justin Woodward. Cover design by François Vaillancourt. ENJOY!
BLOODSHOT BOOKS ANNOUNCEMENT!
It’s time to announce a project that I’ve been thinking about for a couple of months now.
The initial book that we ever released under the Bloodshot Books banner was the first volume in our NOT YOUR AVERAGE MONSTER Anthology series. Four months later, due to the plethora of submissions that I had received, we were able to put out Volume 2. Since then, they have been our most consistent sellers, and I’ve always planned on doing subsequent volumes, but since finances are always tight and anthologies require much more capital to initially put out the novel (especially if you want to pay your authors anything close to a respectable rate), I’ve been kicking the can down the road for a quite some time.
I want to dive back into the fray, though. If all goes as planned, we will be able to put out the next chapter in the series sometime in 2019.
Get ready for NOT YOUR AVERAGE MONSTER, VOLUME 3: WORLD TOUR
There will be a number of changes, though…
1. I want to pay the authors a pro rate of at least 6c/word, so I’m going to jump into the world of Kickstarter sometime in the next several months to raise the money so I can do just that
2. As suggested by the title, the focus of this volume will be much more narrow in some ways and extremely brought in other ways. Our goal has always been bring stories of creatures other than your usual vampires, werewolves, zombies that are the bread-and-butter of horror fiction. This time I want to travel through stories of mythical creatures, cryptids and monsters monsters from every corner of the planet. Accordingly, I’ll be paying close attention to the cultural and geographical diversity of the stories that I choose.
3. In order to do this, many of the stories I select will be solicited from authors across the spectrum (culture, gender, nationality, etc…). I will also be holding a short open call to choose stories from new authors as well. How many are from submissions and how many from solicited authors is up in the air, but it will probably be 50/50
4. For the authors I recruit, ideally I would like to give them a challenge and assign a creature for them to write about. Those who submit, will have access to an extensive list of monsters to choose from with links to their descriptions, origins, etc…
5. And, I hope it goes without saying that I will be actively seeking out authors who are underrepresented in the genre. If you haven’t been living under a rock the past several days, it should be obvious what I mean.
6. I plan on taking my time and doing this meticulously, so don’t mark your calendars yet. The submission period will probably not be until the fall or near the end of 2018, but I will be posting the guidelines and an extensive list of creatures in the next few months. The Kickstarter will hopefully run this summer and I’ll need some help getting the word out. I expect the anthology to be between 70k to 90k words, so I will need to raise a few thousand bucks to cover the authors’ pay plus the artist, etc…
Without a successful Kickstarter, this project won’t happen.
I really need to start announcing these sales on this page. So, starting off, let’s feature one of our titles that deserves a lot more attention than it has gotten: THE RAGGEDY MAN by Christopher Collins.
A MAN IN MOURNING
Still haunted by the death of his wife two years earlier, Derrick Grayson travels with his gifted son Nathan to her hometown of Moss Creek. There, he reunites with her mother, Grace, hoping to bring some peace to his broken heart and to give Nathan a normal childhood.
A TOWN UNDER THE SHADOW OF EVIL
Moss Creek harbors a dark secret, though. Local children have been disappearing for decades, with no trace of them ever found. When a swath of slaughter and bloodshed cuts its way through the townspeople and Derrick finds himself directly in its path, he must join with a group of kindred souls to hunt down the malevolent specter behind the carnage… a dark figure from a twisted shadowy realm… An ancient unearthly entity known as…
THE RAGGEDY MAN
Find out in this epic tale of small town horror from Christopher Collins and Bloodshot Books
US – http://bit.ly/RMKindle – ONLY 99 CENTS!
UK – http://bit.ly/RaggedyUK – 99p in the UK!
...because in depth thoughts take too long.
Genre fiction essays, reviews, and features on crime, horror, and SF
Dedicated to Horror, Post Apocalyptic Fiction and Thrillers
Free, full-length documentaries on crime, murder, conspiracies, serial killers, the occult, and more
An Online Gallery of Horror and Dark Fantasy Cover Art
Sci-Fi & Horror Reviews, News, and More