BLOODSHOT BOOKS 99 CENT SALE!
BLOODSHOT BOOKS ANNOUNCEMENT!
It’s time to announce a project that I’ve been thinking about for a couple of months now.
The initial book that we ever released under the Bloodshot Books banner was the first volume in our NOT YOUR AVERAGE MONSTER Anthology series. Four months later, due to the plethora of submissions that I had received, we were able to put out Volume 2. Since then, they have been our most consistent sellers, and I’ve always planned on doing subsequent volumes, but since finances are always tight and anthologies require much more capital to initially put out the novel (especially if you want to pay your authors anything close to a respectable rate), I’ve been kicking the can down the road for a quite some time.
I want to dive back into the fray, though. If all goes as planned, we will be able to put out the next chapter in the series sometime in 2019.
Get ready for NOT YOUR AVERAGE MONSTER, VOLUME 3: WORLD TOUR
There will be a number of changes, though…
1. I want to pay the authors a pro rate of at least 6c/word, so I’m going to jump into the world of Kickstarter sometime in the next several months to raise the money so I can do just that
2. As suggested by the title, the focus of this volume will be much more narrow in some ways and extremely brought in other ways. Our goal has always been bring stories of creatures other than your usual vampires, werewolves, zombies that are the bread-and-butter of horror fiction. This time I want to travel through stories of mythical creatures, cryptids and monsters monsters from every corner of the planet. Accordingly, I’ll be paying close attention to the cultural and geographical diversity of the stories that I choose.
3. In order to do this, many of the stories I select will be solicited from authors across the spectrum (culture, gender, nationality, etc…). I will also be holding a short open call to choose stories from new authors as well. How many are from submissions and how many from solicited authors is up in the air, but it will probably be 50/50
4. For the authors I recruit, ideally I would like to give them a challenge and assign a creature for them to write about. Those who submit, will have access to an extensive list of monsters to choose from with links to their descriptions, origins, etc…
5. And, I hope it goes without saying that I will be actively seeking out authors who are underrepresented in the genre. If you haven’t been living under a rock the past several days, it should be obvious what I mean.
6. I plan on taking my time and doing this meticulously, so don’t mark your calendars yet. The submission period will probably not be until the fall or near the end of 2018, but I will be posting the guidelines and an extensive list of creatures in the next few months. The Kickstarter will hopefully run this summer and I’ll need some help getting the word out. I expect the anthology to be between 70k to 90k words, so I will need to raise a few thousand bucks to cover the authors’ pay plus the artist, etc…
Without a successful Kickstarter, this project won’t happen.